Frequently Asked Questions

The following questions have been forwarded to NVMC by members of the international maritime community. For each question, an answer we believe to be accurate is provided. If you have any further questions please use the Contact Us page for further inquiries.

FAQ Categories Index
NOAD SubmissionseNOADTime RequirementsCustoms and Border Protection (CBP) RequirementsCargo RequirementsCrew and Non-Crew/Passenger RequirementsHazardous Conditions/Non-Operating Equipment RequirementsBallast Water ReportingOuter Continental Shelf (OCS) RequirementsNotice TrackingNon-Commercial VesselsPort ClearanceDeparturesForm Entry QuestionsDefinitionsBarge NOAD RequirementsPublic VesselsLow Sulphur Fuel Oil Non-AvailabilityQuestionsVRP/NTVRP Reporting[ ALL ]

NOAD Submissions

  • How do I submit an NOAD?
  • There are several methods for filing an NOAD which are noted below:

    eNOAD Web Site:

    An NOAD can be filed via the Internet using the electronic Notice of Arrival/Departure (eNOAD) website which is the most preferred method.  The eNOAD application can be found at the eNOAD website

    Emailed XML Submissions:

    NOADs created in XML format and that conform to NVMC requirements can be emailed to the NVMC at enoad@nvmc.uscg.gov.  The actual XML requirement specifications are available for viewing and use in the Developer Resource Tool

    NVMC InfoPath Template:

    It is anticipated that the NVMC InfoPath Template 6.3.0 will cease to be accepted circa Fall 2015. No other NVMC InfoPath template will be available.  The manufacturer has ended production of new InfoPath standalone versions and is in the process of ending product support. The NVMC recommends that you migrate to other eNOAD submission products such as the eNOAD website https://enoad.nvmc.uscg.gov if you have Internet access or to the NVMC Workbook if you must work offline and use email to file the eNOAD. There are also third-party products not produced by the NVMC which you may wish to consider if the NVMC products do not meet your needs.

    Emailed NOAD Excel Workbook:

    A Notice of Arrival/Departure Excel Workbook is available for the submitter to utilize as an offline resource. The current Notice of Arrival/Departure (NOAD) Workbook can be found under the Downloads tab in Misc/Other Formats.

  • What are the accepted formats and required methods of submitting Notice of Arrivals/Departures?
  • As per the newly published Notice of Arrival/Departure (NOAD) regulation Title 33 Code of Federal Regulations Chapter 160, the NVMC will only be accepting NOAD submissions by the following methods:

    1. Emailed submission of either of the latest two published NVMC Workbooks located at www.nvmc.uscg.gov under the Downloads Tab and sent to enoad@nvmc.uscg.gov.
    2. Via the NVMC eNOAD website.
    3. Via Third-party application submissions conforming to standards found at www.nvmc.uscg.gov under the Developer Tab and sent to enoad@nvmc.uscg.gov.
    4. Via the NVMC InfoPath template version 6.3.0 until its retirement.  Submitters utilizing this product may submit their NOAD on-line by using the built-in submit functionality or by emailing it to enoad@nvmc.uscg.gov.

  • What if an emergency or temporary circumstance prohibits a vessel from submitting its NOAD in the required format or method?
  • On a case by case and limited basis, as determined by the NVMC to be reasonable and necessary, the USCG will continue to accept other electronic methods of submission in times of:

    • No connectivity to email or Internet if using eNOAD website or NVMC Web Service.


    • When experiencing technical difficulties with an onboard computer or communications system through which the eNOAD can be generated and transmitted.


    • When no shore side support is available to generate and transmit the necessary NOAD information in the accepted format and method on behalf of the vessel. (Note: Lack of company support, that otherwise provides logistical and other support functions does not apply to this description.)


    • Due to emergency situations beyond the control of the vessel and its representatives.

  • How do I submit changes to a Notice of Arrival/Departure (NOAD) report?
  • eNOAD Web Site:

    Click the "Update" button next to the arrival/departure notice you intend to update. After making necessary changes, click the “Submit NOA” button. Please note, changes to the ETA of more than 168 hours will not be considered an Update and a new Initial notice will be created. Arrival Port cannot be changed once an Initial notice is submitted.

    Emailed NOAD Excel Workbook:

    The submission type must be changed from "Initial" to "Update" and the "Notice ID" generated for the Initial submission must be entered into the “Notice ID” field. Any change to the NOAD can now be made except for modifications to the following data fields: the ETA by more than 168 hours, the "Notice Type", "Arrival Port" and/or "Voyage Type." Please note, changes to the arrival port, notice type, or voyage type will not be considered an Update and a new Initial notice will be created once submitted.

  • I currently submit my information to a Marine Exchange to have an NOAD created. Can I continue to do so?
  • Yes.  Please note, the responsibility for ensuring that an NOAD report is correct and provided to the NVMC and/or CBP within time requirements remains with the vessel owner/operator or agent.

  • Can NOAD information be submitted directly to the Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP)?
  • No, NOADs are to be submitted to the NVMC.

  • How do I cancel an NOAD?
  • For an Arrival notice submit an NOAD update and enter the word CANCELLED into the City, Anchorage, and Facility fields. For a Departure notice the eNOAD departure will not need to be cancelled for vessels that have submitted a diversion report with the local U.S. Customs, Report of Diversion (CBP Form 26) with the departure port. The eNOAD departure will not need to be cancelled for vessel that has submitted a diversion report with the local U.S. Customs, Report of Diversion (CBP Form 26) with the departure port.

  • What if a vessel is diverted from a previously scheduled port?
  • If a vessel is diverted from a previously scheduled port prior to arrival, a new Initial notice must be submitted for the new arrival port.  When submitting the new Initial notice, information should be added to support the port diversion in the comments field and should reference the original submission.  The Notice for the original port should then be cancelled.  Please note,  it is important that the date time stamp assigned to the original Initial record be preserved in the USCG system for the previously scheduled arrival port.

  • Which vessel identification number should I use for the NOAD?
  • The IMO number is the preferred number and must be used if one is assigned, otherwise use the U.S. Official Number, Foreign Official Number, or U.S. State Certificate Number. Do not use Hull Identification Numbers.

  • What is an MMSI Number?
  • Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) are nine digit numbers used by maritime Digital Selective Calling (DSC), Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) and certain other equipment to uniquely identify a ship or a coast radio station.

  • Who must submit a Notice of Arrival/Departure (NOAD)?
  • The Notice of Arrival/Departure is submitted by the owner, agent, master, operator, or person in charge of the vessel responsible for compliance with the Notice of Arrival/Departure requirements.

  • What are the NOAD requirements?
  • The Notice of Arrival requirements are defined by 33 CFR Part 160. 

    The Notice of Departure requirements are defined in the CBP APIS Final Rule.


  • Why are there two email addresses for the NVMC and which should I use?
  • The enoad@nvmc.uscg.gov address should be used only for submitting NOAD files. Please note this is an automated unmonitored address designed to process NOAD submissions and therefore any other type of correspondence may go unanswered if received at this location.

    The sans@nvmc.uscg.gov address should be used for all general correspondence, questions, and other correspondence. It should not be used for submitting any form of NOAD.

  • What information must be reported when submitting an update or a change to an NOAD report?
  • An NOAD update must include all normally required information, any noted changes, a valid Notice ID number if provided and the submission type must be changed from “Initial” to “Update”. If the submitter did not receive a Notice ID number and is unable to send a formal update then the submitter must provide the name of the vessel, original NOAD submission date, the port of arrival, and the specific items to be updated. Please note that there is no requirement to provide an update to an NOAD for the following informational items: changes in arrival or departure times that are less than six (6) hours; vessel location or position of the vessel at the time of reporting; and crewmember position or duty changes. Reference (§160.208(a)).

  • What is the term NOAD?
  • NOAD is an acronym for "Notice of Arrival/Departure" consolidating the two separate acronyms of Notice Of Arrival (NOA) and Notice Of Departure (NOD) for ease of reference in these subjects areas. The acronym NOAD is utilized throughout the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) subject areas in overall reference to arrival and departure submissions. The NOAD FAQ section is specifically for questions pertaining to reporting requirements. As appropriate arrivals and departures will be addressed separately otherwise the term NOAD will suffice.

  • How long is a past version of a Workbook or the XML schema accepted after a new version is released?
  • Once a new version of a Workbook or XML schema is released, the NVMC will support the previous version(s) for an additional six months or otherwise indicated. At least 45 days prior to the retirement day of a version of a Workbook or XML schema, the NVMC will post a retirement news item on the NVMC's web site stating that the applicable Workbook/XML schema will be retired. Users are advised to begin using the most recently released version of a Workbook or XML schema as soon as possible. At the end of the grace period, any NOAD that is submitted using a retired Workbook or XML schema will be rejected.

  • What vessels are exempt from filing an NOA?
  • A complete list of vessels that are exempt from filing an NOA can be found in 33 CFR Part 160.204 at: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5&node=33:

  • What tonnage is used in reference to the vessel being more or less than less than 300gt?
  • If the vessel is dual tonnage, always use the International Gross Tons (ITC). The higher number value is used for regulatory purposes.

  • How do I indicate a voyage is less than 24hr?
  • If the voyage is less than 24 hrs from point to point the eNOAD provides a check box to indicate Yes or No.

          Disclaimer    Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Get Software      Links     
    NVMC (Build 3) - Released 18 Feb 2021 - Please have your desktop resolution set to 1024x768 or higher.